Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fab 5K, Gun Shopping, Sailing, and Movies

Yesterday we managed to cram at least 3 Saturdays worth of adventures all into one day.

We started the day off by running in the 14th Annual Fab 5K at Greenhill Park in Salem. The weather couldn't have been more perfect for the race. We had a fun time running (I did, anyways...Andrew might tell you otherwise!). I finished with a time of 30:31, which was 175th overall and 10th in my age group. Andrew finished with a time of 32:54, which was 206th overall and 16th in his age group.

Andrew and me after the race

My friend Ruth and me just after finishing

After the race they gave away door prizes, but unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to win anything.

After the race we continued our gun shopping from the previous day. Yes, you read correctly, gun shopping. Earlier in the week I took a concealed weapons permit class with my mom. I also applied to get my permit on Friday, and so we have been looking for a handgun for me. I know it sounds very right-wing extremist of me, but you never know when you might be put in a situation where you would need to protect yourself. We decided to go with the Ruger LCR .38 Special.


It's really light and it felt easy to use. It should be arriving sometime next week, so hopefully Andrew and I can go shooting with it some weekend soon.

Afterwards we headed to the lake for the afternoon. We spent most of the afternoon sailing with my parents. Andrew got to do a lot of the work, and he did a great job!

Andrew and my dad getting everything ready for sailing

Andrew and me on the boat

After that we headed to the Mayberry Drive-In Theater & Diner. We've been wanting to go for a while, but we were either busy or they were playing movies we didn't want to see. It is at the lake close to the Smith Mountain Lake State Park, so we figured this would be a good night for it since we were already at the lake.

We enjoyed some yummy burgers at the diner (above) before the movies

The drive-in

Waiting for the movies to start

The beautiful sunset before the movie started

They showed The Other Guys and Salt. We were expecting The Other Guys to be funnier than it really was. We really weren't too impressed by it. I was so unimpressed that I slept through half of it (also partly because I was so tired from our day). Salt, on the other hand, was a much better movie. Even though they played it second, I actually stayed awake for the whole movie and we really enjoyed it.

Since it was a double feature and it was almost an hour from our house, we didn't get home until really late. Needless to say, we slept in today. In fact, it's 2:00 and I'm still in my pajamas! But, I can definitely say that my tiredness today is a sign that we had a great time yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. Your gun is awesome! I fired a .38 special with a slightly longer barrel, but it had a lot of kickback and kind of hurt my hand. I'm a much bigger fan of the .09 mil, but it's too big to conceal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't actually get to shoot this one before buying it, so I'm hoping it won't hurt my hand too much. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete