Thursday, January 20, 2011

VT Hockey Game and Pancakes

Last weekend Andrew and I got together with another couple and went to a Virginia Tech Hockey game. We actually had no idea VT had a hockey team, but apparently they do! Their home games are at the Roanoke Civic Center, and tickets are only $5 (free with a VT ID or for those under 12). It had been a really long time since I had been to a hockey game, but I was quickly reminded of how much fun they are to watch! Not only the fast pace of the game, but it was great fun watching the players literally beat each other up push and shove each other around on the ice. I mean, what's hockey without some good violence? Virginia Tech faced off against Penn State and they tied 2-2 (yes, apparently you can tie in hockey even after one overtime...lame!). It was a fun time and we decided that we'd have to come back for some more games in the future. Their season is almost over though, so it will have to wait until next fall/winter.






I also wanted to share another recipe. This time it's for oatmeal cottage cheese pancakes. I know the sound of that is probably enough to make some of you throw up in your mouth, but just trust me on this one; they are amazing. I've also calculated that if you follow the recipe below, which makes 2 servings, each serving contains a whopping 27 grams of protein. They also have 13 grams of fat, only 5 grams of sugar (until you put some syrup on them anyways...), 32 carbs, and approximately 350 calories. So unlike regular pancakes that leave you feeling like you want to die and hungry again in an hour, these keep you full for half the day and don't cause you to have a sugar crash after you eat them. So anyways, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole grain oats
  • 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 packets of Splenda*
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or other combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves)
*for those of you who are anti-artificial-sweetener, 3 packets of Splenda is the equivalent of 1/8 cup of sugar...but you really can't taste the Splenda in this recipe, just FYI! And using real sugar also defeats the purpose of this being a pancake recipe that won't cause a sugar crash in an hour.

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and mix until smooth (just at least until you can't really tell that it has oatmeal in it). Also, don't try to use a hand mixer instead. It won't work. Trust me.


Pour a little bit onto a hot pan and cook them up just like regular pancakes!


They are really good with bananas on top and a little bit of maple syrup!


These pancakes aren't as fluffy as regular pancakes. Their consistency is denser, more like buckwheat pancakes (if you've ever had the pleasure of eating those). MMM MMM MMM...just posting this is making me crave them!

In other news, I am about to go away for training for my new job for a WHOLE MONTH. So I apologize in advance if I do posts about random things because I am bored out of my mind. I'm hoping it won't be too bad and that the time will go by fast.

Also, I decided to train for my second half marathon: the Blue Ridge Half Marathon on April 16. The course goes up Mill Mountain, so it will certainly be more of a challenge than the Star City Half. Thankfully I have a friend who I am training with. We've only done one long run together so far, but running with someone else makes it a million times better, especially when it's 32 degrees out!

I think that's all for now. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me while I'm trying to pass the time during training!

No comments:

Post a Comment